8 Home Remedies for Swollen Feet During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is one of the happiest phases in a woman’s life. Unfortunately, it comes with some side effects and problems. Swollen feet are one of the common discomforts faced by women during their pregnancy. Also referred to as edema, it is a condition where excess fluid accumulates in the tissues of the body. This can be painful too.
Here are 8 home remedies for swollen feet during pregnancy:
1. Take Diet High Potassium
This remedy helps you to minimize swelling. Potassium is very effective in maintaining the electrolyte level in the body. It also prevents water from accumulating. Bananas are high in potassium. Having a banana a day will help you.
2. Dandelion Tea This is a miracle tea for pregnant ladies suffering from swollen feet during pregnancy. Dandelion tea balances electrolytes within the body and enhances circulation too. Simply boil a few dandelions with water and consume the concoction thrice daily.
3. Keep Your Feet Elevated Doctors usually recommend their patients to keep feet in an elevated position through the day to get rid of swelling and pain. This is very helpful in maintaining a proper blood circulation within the body. It prevents any pooling of fluids within the foot.
4. Try Apple Cider Vinegar If you like the taste of vinegar, then ACV will serve the purpose. You need to add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice daily. Being loaded with potassium ACV is very helpful in balancing electrolytes in the body.
5. Arnica Oil Massage Get a relaxing foot massage. Use arnica oil as it helps to relieve sore, aching joints and muscles. You may ask your spouse, friend or a masseuse to massage your feet with this oil.
6. Cucumber Packs This is easy and very relaxing. Place cool slices of cucumber on your feet. You need to cover your entire feet with the slice. Cucumber slices will pull out excess toxins and water. You may also chew on a few slices daily to keep your body hydrated.
7. Increase Water Intake In most cases, swollen feet result from the accumulation of fluids in the body. Many women think that drinking more water can lead to water retention. However, the truth is just the opposite. Keeping your body well hydrated will help the body flush out excess toxins and fluid within.
8. Saline Water Soak This is very relaxing. Simply dip your feet in the salty lukewarm water. The home remedy is widely recommended by the older experienced women and midwives. Boil some water and mix in a handful of salt. Once lukewarm, place the feet in a tub and allow your feet to be immersed in it unless water turns cold. The remedy helps by pulling out excess fluids residing in the tissues.
EndNote – Swollen feet during pregnancy is a common issue. Women may find this very annoying due to the discomfort and pain that tags along with it. Following some tried and tested home remedies as stated above can help. For severe issues followed fever and other complications, it is important to call the doctor.